Monday, April 28, 2014

Yom Ha'Shoah 2014 (Out of the Depths by Rabbi Lau and Responsa from the Holocaust By Rabbi Oshry)


Theodicy, known as the problem of evil or why bad things happen to good people, has long been a conversation. If there is an omnipotent, omniscient, good G-d, how can He let bad things happen? The notion of this question and its ubiquity in philosophical circles was upended by the Holocaust. The question was brought to the forefront by the atrocities committed, the scale of which is unfathomable. In a Revel Graduate School course dedicated to the problem of evil, a month was devoted specifically to the Holocaust. The painful question: how can we believe in a Being that let His people be destroyed in such a fashion?

(taken tonight- 6 candles for 6 million. Am Yisrael Chai) 

Leading up to Yom Ha’Shoah this year, I read two books related to the Holocaust: Out of the Depths and Responsa From the Holocaust. These two books and a visit to my Bubbe (grandmother) have framed this year’s experience for me.


  1. Amazingly, Rabbi Lau in Out of the Depths completely sidesteps the question. Out of the Depths is the thrilling and chilling tale of how Rabbi Lau survived the Holocaust at the young age of 5 years old. Despite the horrors that Rabbi Lau faced at such a young age, he had a remarkable belief in divine providence. After each time he is saved in the book, he stops the narrative and thanks G-d for the miracle. He never entertains the possibility that G-d has forsaken him and he does not try to rationalize what went on around him in Buchenwald. For Rabbi Lau, G-d was a source of hope—a source of meaning that helped him and continued to help him throughout the rest of his life. He could never ultimately question G-d because he felt He was there helping him. Even though everything around him should intellectually have proven G-d was not there with him, his feeling to the contrary was so strong that it helped him through that awful time.

My sister and I had a very similar interaction with my Bubbe a couple weeks ago. As she is turning 100 in July we decided to start taping our conversations with her. On this occasion, I am very glad we did. Watch this clip: http://youtu.be/UC5C8u3l30k?t=4m29s.[1] When she said: “I lost my whole family. I’m the only one who survived. No brothers, no sisters. Nobody. Thank G-d I’m here, G-d gave me years.” I was blown away. Everyone else died, but G-d gave me years. This is a concept she repeats often. She doesn’t know why, but thank G-d, G-d gave her years. I find a very similar quality in my Bubbe. She lived through unknowable horrors, living through six different concentration camps, including Auschwitz, Majdanek, and Bergen Belsen. However, she had an undeniable feeling that G-d was with her. She does not know to this day why that is, but she speaks of it every time we visit her.

When thinking about what happened during the Holocaust, I personally find that I have no right to question G-d. My Bubbe didn’t and she lived through it[2]. Throughout it all she (and Rabbi Lau) did not lose their faith, for they felt G-d was with them.

We live in such an intellectual world that even faith has become subject to intellect. However, an emotional faith is lasting in a way that intellectual faith cannot be. I do not mean to demean faith arrived upon by intellectual pursuits. I see G-d in history, in nature and in humankind. However, at the end of the day, I have faith because I feel that G-d is with me. Many Jews were able to feel this way even when they were in a place and time that should have forced them not to. In times of affluence and freedom, we must try to do the same.

In no way do I blame those that felt the way Eli Wiesel describes at the end of Night when he and others lost their faith in G-d. Holding on to one’s faith is the anomaly, and an act of heroism. It is our responsibility to continue the chain of finding G-d in our lives, even if everything makes it seem as if He is not there.

This comes to an even greater forefront in Responsa from the Holocaust[3] by Rabbi Ephraim Oshry. In the book, he describes the types of questions Jews would ask him in the times of the Ghetto and the Holocaust. The questions he received were simply unbelievable. I will highlight two that caught my eye. After being forced to clean toilets with their hands from before dawn to after nightfall, two Jews asked the Rabbi how they could make up prayers they missed throughout the day. They knew they could make up Mincha, and not Shacharit, but how could they say Birchot HaTorah since they never had a moment away from the toilets. Ever while in such a despicable scenario, these holy people were worried about praying to G-d. They felt He had not forsaken them, despite everything that was going on.

One day, several men in a concentration camp were able to get together a minyan and pray, saying the words from memory. When the chazzan got up to the blessing Shelo Asani Aved (Who has not made me a slave) he cried out. How can we say this? We truly are slaves. However the Rabbi replied that we are not thanking G-d for being free men in the classic sense; we are thanking him for being spiritually free. That type of freedom could never be taken away, even under Nazi force.

Our forefathers and grandparents were able to find and hold on to their faith, even during the hardest of times. In times of blessing and fortune, it is no less than our responsibility to follow in their hallowed footsteps.

[1] Feel free to listen earlier to hear what type of guys my Bubbe thinks Margot should marry (guys listen up) and when Hannah and I should have kids. Also, the last ten seconds are hilarious. 
[2] Eliezer Berkovitz argues this point in Faith and the Holocaust. He argues that a person only has a right to lose faith over suffering that happens directly to him.
[3] It is an English summary of Sheilot UTeshuvot Mimamakim making it appropriate to go with Out of the Depths.