Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Case For Israel By Alan Dershowitz

Rather than reviewing this one, I just have a couple points to make.
  • This one should be on EVERYONE'S reading list. Dershowitz goes through 32 different claims that opponents of Israel make. He definitely is willing to criticize Israel but shows how Israel has consistently been one of the most moral countries in the ; even while being put in harder circumstances.  Other than citing great facts to know and us, Dershowitz writes a profound argument for Israel that anyone who says they are a supporter of Israel should know. 
  • Other than being wildly valuable, it was also a great read. I read it in a day and a half because I just couldn't put it down. 
  • After I finished the book,  I felt like I had a great argument for Israel, but it was almost too great. If the situation in the Middle East is such and open and shut case, then why are people so defiant otherwise? So I looked up reviews of the book. As with the issue at hand, it seemed like all the reviews were extremely positive or negative, and nothing in between. It seems that whichever side of the issue you are that viewpoint makes you look at the facts with completely different eyes that read every event differently. I can think of no other argument where each side completely reads every part of it in a different way. What is it about Israel that does this? 
  • Whatever it is, it makes peace look distant. In order to achieve it, a paradigm shift must be made by one or possibly both parties. I hope to a time where that can come to fruition.
Have a chag kasher sameach and if you have some free time during Chol Hamoed, I would definitely pick this one up. Someone you know has it, it was a NY times bestseller.